Thursday, July 2, 2009

Selfless Acts of Kindness..... Nicole....

My Wednesday was rather weepy, as I ventured over to myspace to find my dear friend and she was nowhere to be found.... Nicole entered my life in such a way that there was no question it was a "Divine Intervention From God".... Nicole possessed one of the most inspirational spirits I have ever known... She had the perfect combination of giving you enough push to inspire you to give it all you have, and enough understanding and compassion that no matter where you were on your own journey that she NEVER minimized your struggles... In fact, I remember clearly Fat Tuesday.. After sending Nicole a ridiculous email about my struggles with Lane having to get poked all the time (which is so so so so so minor compared to her health status at the time) I didn't get a response.... She was in a sterile hospital with nothing to do, so I quickly got worried after one day turned into two and three and then a week..... So worried i had spent hours surfing the internet going through obituary's to try and find out if something had happened to her (I never shared that with her)..... It just wasn't like her to vanish.... so everyday I just kept checking the obits.... Then poof out of nowhere she resurfaces, apologizing for scaring the poop out of me....... She goes on to tell me how she had coded (my gut was right, which scared me even more) and she discusses her experience with coding ( which uhhh is the biggest problem anyone could have and totally trumps my little issues with pokes) but Nicole being the amazing person she was goes right into talking about the pokes I wrote her about a week prior... she writes "I'm soo sorry your son had such an awful poker! I always had a 2 limit rule. They got two pokes and if they weren't successful they were to call someone else in to try. Might be a calming rule for both you and your son so when it happens, he'll know that if the person completely sucks at drawing blood or starting an IV someone good will be in soon!" Shocked with her selfless kindness, I respond telling her "See that is why I told you that you could laugh over my bad poker deal lol.. I am new at all this and so I am still at the baby steps of a blood draw... one day I will look back and laugh as well... and I will remember your 2 limit rule, i am learning as I go..." and still she does not minimize my problems, still offering me comfort as she goes on to say "no need to apologize about baby steps! everyone has to start somewhere and i'm simply grateful i can help you in any way possible!!! like i said- never be afraid to ask me questions! i'm sorry i scared the p out of you- i thought about you sooo many times and was scared you'd wonder what happened, but i figured you'd understand when i explained things to you ;)" Wow, this young woman, all of 28 years still worried about me being worried about her, and my issues with pokes all the while this was her week "Sooo sorry for the delay! Unfortunately- last week was a very bad week. Tuesday started out FATASTIC! I felt great! Around noon I coded- my blodd pressure dropped, my sats dropped below 60, my lungs wouldn't stop bleeding and I couldn't breathe or stay conscious so they called a rapid response code blue and ended up life flighting me to Indianapolis (about 2 1/2 hours away) for an embolization. I spent tuesday night in and out of consciousness in the ICU and spent 5 hours in surgery Wednesday" And yep after experiencing that kinda week she was still comforting me... She was absolutely indescribably amazing.... No ordinary Lady here... She NEVER minimized anything I was going through, no matter how ridiculous it may have been compared to her battling for her life.... she was always thinking of everyone else first.... The most important lesson of all that she taught me was living every moment of everyday.... I was never fortunate enough to ever know her wonderful parents, but wow they raised the most amazing daughter.... I know that God has not only fitted her with a set of Golden Wings, he has given her a set of Golden Lungs as well, Breathe Easy....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin