Sunday, May 24, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame.....





It was quite apparent before Lane turned a year old, that he was born with the heart for baseball. He loves all sports that contain a ball of some sort, but baseball is by far his favorite. His third Christmas, Lane requested Santa bring him a set of catcher's gear. It was a little hard to find a genuine set in his size (no pretend set would do) but Santa accomplished the task. Lane has spent his tender years collecting all the equipment he deems necessary to be a great baseball player, and has waited his whole life to be able to play. This year he is finally old enough to play, and for the last month he has told every stranger he has come across that he is a Baseball Player. He wakes up every morning asking the same question, "Is it time to go play ball?". There are many sacrifices Lane will have to make in his life, and it is my hope baseball will never have to be one of them. One hot day during a game, I notice Lane's mouth turning blue. It was a quick reminder that no matter how healthy he looks on the outside, on the inside he is not healthy at all, a thought no parent wants to be reminded of. I question why Lane would be born with such an overwhelming desire to follow baseball, yet not be born with the lung capacity or health to do so. On one hand I am grateful that he loves playing so much, since being active is the best thing he can do for himself. On the other hand I am sad when I think ahead to the day it breaks his heart because his health prevents him from playing... I am reassured that God created Lane with a purpose, and God makes no mistakes. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Psalm 139 13:14 Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)" As I look at my purposefully and wonderfully made son, I know there is no place he would rather be right now than on that field playing ball, and when I watch him on that field smiling, there is no better feeling in the world than knowing he is doing exactly what he has always dreamed of...




I decided to add a page to Lane's website titled Sports Gallery. A place where baseball photos can be viewed and purchased, as well as other local sports. http://www.lovinlane.org/SportsGallery.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin